December 21, 2015

Taking a risk which I might be embarrassed.. 恥をかくリスクを負って挑んだらこうなりました。


I came to Dallas from Japan 4 years ago this month. Here is the most impressive experience for me in the last 4 years. This is a story when I got a nice experience after I challenged myself with taking a risk which I might be embarrassed. This made me change my mind later.

***

This is a story when a few months passed after I came here. I was looking for opportunities to have non-Japanese friends (I'm here to improve my English level for work). One day, one of my ESL classmates was looking for people on Facebook who go to the “The Killers” concert with her. When I saw it, I thought it’s a good chance to make new friends (she is Chinese).
I tried to message her like “I want to go with you guys”, but I stopped. I had not talked to her so much so far, so she might be surprised at my sudden message, and then she might refuse it. I thought if she did that, I would be embarrassed. Even if she agreed and I could join them, I would also be embarrassed by my broken English. After thinking deeply, I finally messaged her. She replied to me, “Let’s go together”. I was relieved. But..

After a while, I heard from her that her friends could not make it (I had to go there with her alone). I was so nervous and scared, because I had never hung out with a person alone who doesn’t speak Japanese (At this moment, I regretted to message her).

On that day, we went there together. Contrary to my expectation, this day became a fantastic day. I did never feel embarrassed. The concert was good, I could practice English, and we became friends each other (She is my first non-Japanese friend here). In addition, I realized people’s personalities have nothing to do with their countries. I mean, she is Chinese, but she is not different from my Japanese female friends so much. Like that, I got a nice experience after I challenged myself with having a risk which I might be embarrassed.

***

Looking back, I have so many experience I was embarrassed. For example, I’m embarrassed every time when I give presentations in front of people at meetings. However, I don’t care that because I have the experience I wrote above, and I always get something important there. Also, I usually speak to people at meetings without hesitation to get valuable information from them. In addition, I’m trying to make new American friends here, and to join their group as long as my time allows. Thanks to that, I found some of them who have great thinking or ways of life. I’m learning a lot from them.

I noticed that becoming insensitive to embarrassment makes it clear what I want to do or what I need. I feel it became easier to get them than before.

***

By the way, recently I met her again who went to the concert together for the first time in three years. I have no idea what she thought, but if she thought my English got better than before, I would be glad.

***

4年前の今月、日本からダラスに来ました。今回はこの4年間で一番記憶に残っていることを書いています。それは、あることに恥をかくリスクを取って挑んでみたら、思わぬ良い結果が得られたという話です。これまでの自分の考え方が変わった出来事です。

***

ここに来てまだ数か月の頃の話。外国人の友達が一人もいなかった自分は、英語の友達を作るきっかけを探していました(→ここに来たのは英語力をつけるためですから)。そのとき、英会話クラスを一緒に受けていた中国人の女性が、Facebook上でThe Killersのコンサートを一緒に見に行く人を募集していたのです。それを見て、これは彼女やその友人たちと友達になれる良いチャンスだと思いました。

早速、彼女にメッセージを送って行きたいとの参加表明を…と思いましたが、その前に少し考えて思い留まりました。というのも、それまで彼女と直接話したのは数回だけ、というか挨拶のみです。自分の存在は知っていてもらえているだろうものの、一緒に行きたいなどといきなりメッセージを送って、何よこの人、なんて思われたらカッコ悪いし恥ずかしい。一方で、もしこれに参加できたとしても、自分のプアーな英語力ではもっと恥ずかしい思いをするのは目に見えていました。数日間どうしたものかと考えた末、メッセージを送ったところで失う物は何もないと考えることにして、最後には勇気を出して送りました。彼女からはなんとOKの返事。とりあえず、ほっとしました。しかし…。

数人で行くと思っていたコンサートですが、最終的に行くことになったのは何と彼女とぼくの2人だけ。他の人は忙しくなって行けなくなったそうです。日本語を話さない人との初めての外出ですよ。しかも車で。この時点では、彼女にメッセージを送ったことを後悔しました。

で、当日。ところが、この日は予想を裏切り、とても素晴らしい一日となったのです。恥ずかしいことなんて何一つありませんでした。コンサートが良かったのはもちろんのこと、彼女との楽しい話で英語の練習ができただけでなく、彼女が思っていたよりもフレンドリーであることがわかり、良い友達になれました。そして何よりも、中国人のこの彼女は、他の日本人の女友達らと何ら変わりなく、性格や人柄に出身国は関係ないと感じた一件でもありました。恥をかくリスクを取って挑んでみたら、今までになかった経験ができたのです。

***

思い返せば、恥ずかしい思いなんてこれまでたくさんしているわけで、例えば、人前での研究発表なんかは、毎回恥をかいています。ただ、上記の経験をしているせいか、恥自体は今は昔ほど気になりません。得られる物が毎回何かしらあるからです。学会の場では、遠慮なく人に話かけるので、必要な情報が得られることもたびたびです。さらに最近は、韓国語の勉強で知り合ったアメリカ人たちの中に、変な英語を使ってでも進んで入って行っているので、考え方・生き方がしっかりした人たちにも会えています。彼らからは多くを学んでいます。

恥に対して鈍感になると、自分がやりたいこと・自分に必要なことがはっきりすることに気付きました。以前よりも目的のものが容易に手に入るようになった気がします。

***

そういえば、先日、コンサートに一緒に行った彼女と3年ぶりくらいに偶然会いました。彼女に、ぼくの英語は上達したなぁ、なんて思ってもらえていたらうれしいです。

No comments:

Post a Comment